General Information About Abuse of Access

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

The following document ONLY applies to jurisdictions in Kentucky that have enacted the Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act. These jurisdictions are: Barbourville, Bellevue, Bromley, Covington, Dayton, Florence, Lexington-Fayette County, Georgetown, Louisville-Jefferson County, Ludlow, Melbourne, Newport, Oldham County, Pulaski County, Shelbyville, Silver Grove, Southgate, Taylor Mill and Woodlawn.

If you do NOT live in one of these jurisdictions, please do not rely on this document for legal advice.

Further, this information only applies to residential leases. It does not apply to: commercial units, properties under contract for sale, hotels or motels, or people who are employed by the landlord.

If your landlord:

  1. Enters your apartment unlawfully (the landlord must give 2 days notice to you before entering your apartment, unless there is an emergency)

  2. Enters your apartment in an unreasonable manner

  3. Makes repeated demands to enter your apartment lawfully, and ends up unreasonably harassing you as a result

Then you may:

  1. Send your landlord a notice to inform her/him that s/he is violating the law.

  2. Obtain the ability to keep the landlord out. You are allowed to change the locks, get a restraining order, etc. Normally a landlord must have access to his property. So, normally you cannot change the locks on your apartment without giving the landlord a key.

In either case, you may take the landlord to court if you had damages and sue him/her to get paid back (including attorney's fees).

Reviewed August 2009