Sample Letter to Landlord: Denial of Essential Services

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

The following document ONLY applies to jurisdictions in Kentucky that have enacted the Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act. These jurisdictions are: Barbourville, Bellevue, Bromley, Covington, Dayton, Florence, Lexington-Fayette County, Georgetown, Louisville-Jefferson County, Ludlow, Melbourne, Newport, Oldham County, Pulaski County, Shelbyville, Silver Grove, Southgate, Taylor Mill and Woodlawn.

If you do NOT live in one of these jurisdictions, please do not rely on this document for legal advice.

Further, this information only applies to residential leases. It does not apply to: commercial units, properties under contract for sale, hotels or motels, or people who are employed by the landlord.

Here is a sample letter you can send to your landlord asking for financial compensation for damages you incurred from not having utility services. See What To Do If Your Landlord Terminates or Reduces Your Utility Services for more information.

**You can also download this letter in Microsoft Word format.**


Dear Landlord:

Contrary to our rental agreement or KRS 383.595, you have willfully failed to supply:

  (  ) Heat
  (  ) Running Water
  (  ) Hot Water
  (  ) Electricity
  (  ) Gas
  (  ) Other essential service(s): ____________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________

Under KRS 383.640, please be advised that unless the situation is immediately remedied, I am entitled and will seek to:

  (  ) Obtain reasonable amounts of heat, hot water, running water, electricity, gas or other essential service; deducting their actual and reasonable cost from the rent.
  (  ) Recover damages based on the reduction in the fair rental value of the dwelling unit.
  (  ) Obtain reasonable substitute housing during the period of your non-compliance, in which case I am excused from paying rent for the period of your noncompliance. I am also entitled to recover reasonable attorney's fees.



Reviewed August 2009