Guide to Medicare Part D: What If I Can't Afford Part D Coverage?

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
This page is part of our Guide to Medicare Part D.

If you have limited income and assets (i.e. savings and stocks), you may qualify for "extra help" with the cost of the Monthly Premium, Yearly Deductible and/or the Co-Payments.

NOTE: In order to receive "extra help," you MUST APPLY for it, UNLESS you are elderly or disabled AND enrolled in:
  • Medicare and Medicaid, OR
  • Medicare and one of the three Medicare Savings Programs, also known as QMB, SLMB, or QI, OR
  • Medicare and SSI

For information about qualifying or applying for "extra help" paying your Part D costs:

  • For information call the Legal HelpLine for Older Kentuckians at 1-800-200-3633, or
  • Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or
  • To apply for extra help on-line, visit the Social Security on-line application site on the web, or
  • Visit your local Social Security Administration office in person.

Reviewed August 2009

This online guide was adapted with permission from Maine Legal Services for the Elderly. We extend our thanks to them.